We are still accepting singers in the bass section.
If you are interested in auditioning for the choir, please review the information below. Please contact us with any questions!
During your audition, you will be asked to sing a vocal exercise or two, a short sight reading passage, and you will need to prepare something to sing for us. You can sing anything: a hymn, aria, show tune, folk song, etc.
Below are important dates for Season 44 and the expectations for members of our group.
If you are unable to make any available audition times and would like to be considered, please contact Jayson Snipes, Artistic Director.
PCS does expect singers to commit to rehearsals and performances. Singers who habitually miss rehearsal may be asked by the Artistic Director to forego participation in the upcoming performance. If you have any conflicts with rehearsals, it is the singer’s responsibility to inform the Artistic Director in advance. If you already know of unavailability, please say so during your audition.
Rehearsals will begin Tuesday, September 7, from 7–9 PM at Maple Springs UMC in Winston-Salem.
You will receive a detailed calendar and the link to subscribe to an online calendar at the first rehearsal.
All singers are expected to attend dress rehearsals. Please make note of these dates and times:
- Friday, October 22: 7:00–10:00 PM
- Thursday, December 2: 7:00–10:00 PM
- Saturday, April 30, 2022: 9:00 AM to noon
All rehearsals will be at Maple Springs UMC.
- Friday, December 3, 7:30 PM; Saturday, December 4, 3:00 PM
- Sunday, December 5, Time TBA (Carols by Candlelight performance at Bethabara)
- Sunday, April 3, 2022, 3:30 PM
- Saturday, April 30 – Sunday, May 1, 2022
All concerts except Carols By Candlelight will be at Maple Springs UMC.
Fundraisers and Meetings
Each year, PCS holds a gala fundraiser called Intermezzo! While all singers will be involved in the performance, you are encouraged to audition for a solo performance at the event. The fundraiser is Saturday, February 12, 2022. Our annual singer celebration and meeting will be Tuesday, May 3.
Singers are asked to pay $50 for the season in dues. This helps with the purchase of music, and is a token of your commitment to the organization. Your dues are tax-deductible. We can make waivers in individual cases if needed, see the Artistic Director.
Membership in the Piedmont Chamber Singers (hereinafter “PCS”) commits each Singer (hereinafter “Member”) to involvement in all rehearsals and performances. By agreeing and accepting the schedule, a Member agrees to be present at all the events it contains.
- Members are asked to participate in any outreach programs beyond the main concerts of the season identified on the schedule (i.e. Annual gala fundraiser, Bethabara performances, community outreach performances, etc.). These events raise awareness of PCS in the community.
- Regular attendance at rehearsals is expected. Illness, personal emergencies, and unavoidable professional responsibilities are understandable causes for excused absence from rehearsal. Members are encouraged to notify the artistic director or manager in advance or as soon as possible after the fact by phone or email. Members with more than one unexcused absence within a concert cycle should not expect to perform on the upcoming concert. A sustained pattern of absences will lead to dismissal from the group, the decision being made at the Artistic Director’s discretion.
- Members who are not feeling well but do not have a fever and are not contagious should still plan to attend rehearsal to listen, get markings, etc., but may sit away from the group.
- When a Member must miss a rehearsal, they are expected to contact a colleague and find out what was rehearsed and what should be prepared for the following rehearsal. The Member should try to learn previously missed material before the next rehearsal.
- Members are expected to arrive to rehearsal on time, seated with assigned music and pencil by 7:00 PM, unless notified of another time. Talking among individuals during rehearsal is disruptive and should be avoided. This will allow us to maximize rehearsal time and allow the ensemble to progress to its full artistic potential.
- Every effort will be made to communicate the goals of rehearsals in advance, allowing Members to arrive prepared. You may be asked to listen to practice recordings or do some work on your own outside of rehearsal when necessary.
- To respect the health concerns of all, Members should refrain from wearing any added scents (perfumes, cologne, aftershave, scented lotions, etc.) to rehearsals and performances.
- Members are expected to obtain and maintain their own concert attire. Details of concert attire are discussed at the season’s first rehearsal.
- Everyone involved with PCS is expected to adhere to a code of conduct and ethics, embracing mutual respect. We intend our PCS community to be a comfortable environment free of intimidation or harassment, including racial, ethnic, or sexual insults, jokes, or slurs. Conduct of this nature is unacceptable and grounds for dismissal from the group.
After reading this information, please sign your audition form indicating your acceptance of these guidelines.